Okay so this is how the fasting protocol is going to work for the 30 day challenge.
We are going to work on a 5 day on 2 day off schedule. 3 of the 5 fasting days will be a minimum of 12 hours of fasting and the 2 other days will be a minimum of 16 hours. To maximize the probability of following this regimen we will do an overnight fast, so once you finish your dinner your fast will begin.
The weekends will be our off days, though you can feel free to switch this up to whatever schedule makes more sense for you. The only thing I do suggest is to pick a pattern and stick to it for the 30 days. The schedule I am going to follow is below…
- 12 hour fast on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- 16 hour fast on Tuesday and Thursday
- The weekends I will probablu still do 12 hours as this is what I have been doing for a long time. If you feel like fasting on the weekends as well, I say go for it, there is nothing wrong with doing it 7 out of 7!
- On the very last day we will do a 24 hour fast. If any of you feel adventurous we can do a 48 hour fast instead!
What if you are on medications that need to be taken with food?
- If your medication is time sensitive – you need to take it first thing in the morning, then what you can try is eating breakfast and lunch and then fasting through dinner.
- If the medication you take simply needs to be taken on a daily basis but is less time sensitive then you can try taking it with your first meal of the day. You can adjust your dinner to a slightly earlier time so that you can swing 12 hoours or so of fasting and just stick to that. There is still benefits to a 12 hour daily fast.
What about supplements?
- Vitamins A, E, D and K are fat soluble vitamins and will most likely not be absorbed well if taken with water on an empty stomach so I would wait until you eat something with some fat in it so as not to waste the supplement.
- Studies have shown that the addition of antioxidants, antibiotics, and other compounds that don’t necessarily “break” a fast do interfere with some of the benefits of fasting. The stress put on your body during a fast is the what induces your bodies healing reactions. So as a general rule I would limit what you add to your fast as it probably will act as a crutch and eliminate the worthwile benefits of fasting.
What will break the fast?
- Amino acids or protein powders
- Artificial sweeteners
- Certain teas – black and green tea are safe (without any sweetener)
- Anything with calories
Black Coffee and Tea do have some calories but it is so minimal that many experst believe that the effect is negligable. If anything it may reduce autophagy but it has not been shown to reduce weight loss, ketosis, growth hormone and metabolic benefits of fasting. They may even enhance them.
When in doubt, just drink water!
I will add some information and links to studies on all the benefits of fasting as we go through the challenge! But for now here are some of the more commonly known benefits –
- weight loss
- Increased gut microbiome diversity
- reduced inflammation
- improved metabolsim
- higher cognitive response
- spiritual connection
We will be starting on MOnday January 13th!! If you have any questions please inquire at email@example.com or just join the discussion as we post on our socail media platforms
IG – bfitstudio_mtl
FB – bfitstudiomontreal